The Membership Clerk has the responsibility of recording, registering and reporting on the demographics of the Thessalon First Nation membership. The Clerk will assist you with any requirements with regards to vital statistic reporting. 

Thessalon First Nation retains mailing lists of its members for the purpose of getting information out to the membership. It is your RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that your address is updated with our office.

To change and/or update your mailing address information contact the Membership Clerk, Bobbi Jo McColman.
Note: Mailing lists are for the use of TFN Membership only and are not shared with any other organization or internal department.

Child Registration 

If you have a child that is entitled for registration with Thessalon First Nation please contact the membership office. 

Documents required for child registration:

  • The Certificate of Birth Registration (long form) is required to register a child

  • Consent of both parents agreeing to register the child

  • 15 & Younger / Must have one piece of ID of the parent, AND one piece of ID for the child. Or, one piece of parent ID and Guarantor Declaration Form. 

  • Important: If the legal guardian is applying on behalf of the child, a copy of the Legal Guardianship Order, naming the guardian is mandatory. 

Young Adult/Adult Registration 

When applying for a Certificate of Indian Status card:

  • 16 & Older / Must provide 2 pieces of proper ID or 1 piece of ID with Guarantor Declaration Form

Acceptable Forms of Identification:

  • Drivers License
  • Provincial Health Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Fire Arms License
  • Provincial ID Card
  • Student ID Card
  • Nexus Card (counts as 2 pieces)
  • Passport (counts as 2 pieces)
  • SIN Card
  • Guarantor Form
  • Expired Card (Exception: Status Card can be expired for up to 6 months)

Any registered Indian who has at least two natural or adoptive grandparents who are, or were at the time of their death, entitled to be registered as Indians, is eligible to apply for membership who is also either:

  • A person whose parent is or was a member of the Thessalon First Nation
  • The spouse of a member of the Thessalon First Nation, or
  • A person who seeks to transfer their existing membership from another First Nation to the Thessalon First Nation, and has received the majority support at a General Membership meeting

Required Documents:

  • The statement of Live Birth (long birth certificate) which identifies the parent(s) by name.
  • If the named father is claimed to be incorrect, the applicant must contract Vital Statistics to obtain an amended birth registration with the correct paternity information or alternatively, present DNA evidence the court order.
  • If the birth document does not state paternity but Indian paternity is claimed, then Statutory Declarations completed by both parents confirming paternity will be required to substantiate the claimed father. 
  • If the father is not registered as an Indian with the Indian Act, but named on the Live Birth Statement, they must also sign the application.​

Bill C-31

On December 15, 2010 Bill C-3 Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act received Royal Assent and is in affect as of January 31, 2011. Bill C-3 will ensure that eligible grand-children of women who lost status as a result of marrying non-Indian men will become entitled to registration (Indian Status). Because of the legislation, approximately 45,000 persons newly entitled to registration. 

For further information click here.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar General:
P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8
1-800-461-2156 / Fax: (807) 343-7459

How to obtain the "New" Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card:
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development is currently accepting WALK-IN clients only. 
For more information or to book appointment contact your local Aboriginal Affairs Office. 
Aboriginal Affairs & Northern Development Canada
Sudbury Business Center
40 Elm Street, Suite 290
Sudbury, ON, P3C 1S8
Phone: (705) 522-5100
Or for more information: www.aandc.gc.ca
1-800-567-9604 TTY: 1-866-553-0554

Bobbi Jo McColman, Membership Clerk
Tel: (705) 842-2323
Email: bmccolman.tfn@vianet.ca​

Supported By: