A PLACE OF PEACE AND FREEDOM
Niigaaniin Support Programs
Niigaaniin Program is the implementation of the Ontario Works legislation that is culturally appropriate and based on community specific needs that are delivered through a client case management model within the eight North Shore First Nations.
Niigaaniin Program has 3 components, which are:
l. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:
- Basic Needs: are for food and clothing for yourself, partner, and any dependents you may have.
- Shelter: (based on the size of your family) this includes rent, heat, hydro, gas, water, sewage, and house insurance.
2. EMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE - (CLIENT SUPPORT)
The goal is to help people on social assistance find the best route to employment and financial independence.
The basic NIIGAANIIN strategy is to provide the case management approach to the delivery of the program, as well as the provision of developmental support services and the provision of financial assistance with the costs of participation. This intensive, supportive strategy will ensure that financial assistance dependents are able to identify, access and take effective advantage of the services available that are relevant to their needs.
Under the strategy:
- Working with other community-based programs and off reserve agencies to foster the availability of the specific services that are needed by numbers of NIIGAANIIN participants and to help ensure that these services are provided in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Working with other employers to create and supervise paid and unpaid work experience/training positions tailored to the particular needs and characteristics of NIIGAANIIN program participants.
- A third component of the strategy is to institute a family support function which will directly assist clients to pursue spousal and child support as well as other forms of support to which they may be entitled.
- Finally, the model calls for continuous monitoring of progress and a case management information system is in the process of being implemented across the seven First Nations that will support this monitoring process and produce progress reports with a minimum demand on staff time.
3. SHPIMING NIKEYAA ZHAAWAG - (LIFE SKILLS)
The Shpiming Nikeyaa Zhaawag program provides financial assistance, active measures and addiction services to Niigaaniin clients whose employment potential may be impeded by substance abuse problems.
For further information click here.